In advance of the vote, the town has posted a fact sheet to answer some basic questions voters might have when they walk into the voting booth.
Here are some key points worth knowing:
- On February 3, 2014, the Town Council unanimously approved two actions seeking authorization from the legislature to issue bonds and notes to finance the construction of sewers for the commercial area of Wickford and along Post Road North.
- Both approvals included authorization to impose sewer assessments and user fees on the properties connected in Wickford and Post Road North.
- The amounts to be financed are $4,900,000 for Wickford and $6,600,000 for Post Road North.
- Sewers are proposed for the commercial area of Wickford mainly comprising Brown Street and some commercial properties on Main and West Main Streets and some commercial properties on Phillips Street including Wickford Elementary. The Post Road North area includes properties north of the Quonset Gateway development to School Street.
- These sewer projects will upgrade infrastructure, preserve the environment, enhance economic vitality, generate business revenue, and are recommended by the North Kingstown community market analysis.
- The cost of sewer project construction will be fully paid over 20 years by owners of properties serviced by the sewer system through assessments. No other property owners, businesses or residents will be taxed for these costs.
- The sewer mains will be installed within public roadways, easement or on public property and will be connected to the existing treatment facility at Quonset.
- Construction dates are not finalized but are anticipated for years 2016 and 2017 due to needs for final design, permitting, procurement and Town Council award.