.

Residents Forced Out Of Devil’s Foot Road House After Fire

The house burned in a fire Friday night.

Credit: NK Patch
Credit: NK Patch

The Red Cross is tending to the five occupants of 10 Devil’s Rd. after a fire Friday night rendered their house uninhabitable.

According to Deputy Chief Scott Kettelle, the fire was called in at 11:09 p.m. Friday night.  

“The fire started in the basement and did significant damage to the structure,” said Kettelle. There were no injuries.

The fire is thought to have started in the basement, and extended up into the main floor. The house had been converted into two apartments.

The fire marshal is investigating. Initial findings indicate the fire was accidental and might be traced to the fireplace.
Andrew J. Hammond December 15, 2013 at 01:12 PM
Cash Donations to assist Scott Hurd, (a single father) are being accepted at Gillian's Ale House 7835 Post Rd. North Kingstown RI 02852. Great job Scott getting everyone out safe. Prayers are sent your way in this difficult time.
Elizabeth McNamara (Editor) December 15, 2013 at 01:21 PM
Thanks, Andrew, for that info.
Kristi Mitchell-Verrill December 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM
First let me say I am very glad that everyone is safe. I know Scott, and his daughter Autumn and my son were friends. I just need to say it was not Scott who saved everyone. Scott started the fire using a fireplace the landlord told him not to use. He fell asleep with the fire burning(not to mention the stuff he was burning like pine and cardboard shouldn't be burned indoors). My mother found the fire coming through her ceiling. She alerted Scott to what was happenning by screaming fire. Scott came down, my mother told him what happened. He went up and saved the girls. And instead of coming back down to check on my parents he left my mother to get my father out alone(who has advanced stage of parkisons.) My parents lost everything in that fire... they are also accepting donations. Cash donations can either be made at the Irving gas station (7000 Post Rd North Kingstown) or Stop and Shop on frenchtown Rd in North Kingstown https://www.wepay.com/donations/mitchellfund
Kaytee Robbins December 18, 2013 at 01:06 PM
Kristi I don't understand why you would say that or where you're getting your information from but you are 100% incorrect and out of line. Scott did not start the fire first of all. He also never said he saved everyone, I'm pretty sure the comment made above was just saying that he was glad Scott got his family out safe without any issues. He isn't claiming to have saved anyone. Also, he had his two daughters (me and Autumn) to wake up and get outside and I informed him that your parents had both made it outside safely. He was inside trying to figure out where the fire was coming from to try and eliminate it himself if he could. Also, Don DID NOT tell us not to use the fireplace, that is completely false. I don't know who told you that but it is not true whatsoever. I'm the one who originally went to check out the house before we moved in and Don said both fireplaces were working and we could use them. I'd appreciate it if you didn't spread false rumors. Also, nobody fell asleep with the fire going. The fire was out around 8 oclock that night before we all went to sleep. We were not careless with the fire in any means so you have no right to blame him for the fire. It was actually caused because of the structure of the fireplace. It should never have been built the way it was and it should have never been used and I'm almost positive it's never been used before then because it would've started a fire. The floor joices were built into the mason work of the fireplace which is incredibly dangerous and makes no sense as to why it was ever built that way in the first place. I'm not blaming Don because he obviously wasn't aware of this. This isn't a situation to point fingers but if it was it would be entirely Don's fault. He told us the fireplace was working and could be used when it should have never been used at all. There was no way for Scott to know anything about how it was built or that it was built in a way that would definitely start a fire. Don should have never told us that it was working without getting in inspected. It should have been blocked off realistically and this whole situation would've been prevented. But like I said, this isn't a situation to point fingers in. Whoever is providing you with your information is false and you shouldn't be spreading rumors like that. If you have something you'd like to say, you can contact me or Scott instead of posting on here and blaming my family for something so out of hand. Also, you weren't even there. But like I said, we were all awake before the fire was out and it was NOT his fault. The only person to blame here is Don being an irresponsible landlord and not getting the fireplaces checked out before telling us that they were working and usable. If you have any more rumors to spread contact one of us first. And you said that fire started in our apartment which is ALSO FALSE. But you weren't there, so you wouldn't know that it started in the basement ceiling/our floor. Did you talk to the fire marshal? No, you didn't, that's why you're also unaware that he said the fire had nothing to do with us and it was because the fireplace wasn't built up to code and should never have been built with the floor joices going into it. It was an accident waiting to happen. We also lost our home and everything that we owned. It's not just your parents who took a loss and who are suffering. We're now paying to live in a hotel that we can't afford to be paying for and we own nothing but what's been being donated to us by people in the community. We also lost our cat and haven't been able to find him. Our family is suffering a huge loss also and it's not fair to act like nothing happened to us or to blame us when we did absolutely nothing to cause this fire. I just had to clear those rumors up because you are completely out of line and just 100% WRONG.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »